It is possible to create tax setup to charge the proper rates during the checkout. This makes it easier to apply and collect correct rate, report income and comply with Irishl tax laws.
- Automatic tax calculation
- Manual tax setup
Automatic tax calculation
For users from the US, Canada, Australia and Europe we calculates the tax rates automatically based on the store and customer's location. On the checkout the customer will be charged a proper tax rate according to country and regional tax rules.
Tax laws are constantly changing. Country, state or even city government may apply new tax rates that a business owner is expected to keep up with. Online store will stay up to date on the tax law.
How to setup
1. Enter your actual company address in your Control Panel → Settings → General page. This address is needed to calculate and apply the right rate to the order on the checkout.
2. Enable automatic taxes in your Control Panel → Settings → Taxes page:
Once enabled, the automatic tax rate will determine a precise tax rate at checkout depending on where you and your customer are located. The tool knows the tax rules in your country, state and even county and city and applies them properly to each order:
- Whether you’re located in a region with origin-based or destination-based tax schema
- Whether shipping cost or discounts are taxable
- Whether you should charge tax in another state or country not
The tax rate is calculated with a zip code accuracy. If your customer provides zip+4, it will be calculated with even higher precision. In some states (and the number of such states is growing), the tax is calculated with a street address level precision.
How to handle tax exempt customers
Some customers, like wholesalers and nonprofit organisations, can be exempt from taxes. Online store allows to mark such buyers as non-taxable, so that they could check out in your store without taxes applied to their orders. Please refer to this article for details: How to handle tax exempt customers
Is there an extra fee to get automated tax calculations?
No, there are no extra fees. As long as you’re on one of paid plans, you have unlimited automatic tax calculations free of charge.
Are county taxes calculated automatically? What about zip+4 taxes?
Yes, the automatic tax calculator recognizes counties, zip codes and even street addresses (in some states). If your customer provides zip+4, the rate will be calculated with even higher precision.
What if some of my products are not taxable?
Automatic tax rates applies for all products by default. In case you do not charge tax for some of your products, or you need multiple taxes, you will need to use manual tax setup.
Manual tax setup
How to setup
For example you need to create 7.5% tax for California.
- Go to your Control panel → Settings → Zones page. Press the "New Zone" button.
- Change the name of the created destination zone. Then click on the "Add state..." button and add the necessary state (e.g. "United States: California"). Save the changes.
- Go to the Settings → Taxes page.
- Press the "New Tax" button.
- Enter your tax name and define the other settings
- Click on the "New Rate" button. Select the zone created earlier and enter the tax rate(for example 7.5%). Save the changes.
- If you have many destination zones, repeat the steps above for each of them.
- If you want to set up the same rate for several different states, you can create a zone consisting of these states and set up tax rate for this zone.
- There is also a pre-defined zone named "Other zones" that defines tax for locations matching no zone mentioned in the rate list.
Tax isn't calculated, if I use PayPal Express Checkout
Most likely your "Zone defines by" tax option is set to "Billing address".
PayPal does not return customer's billing state code, only the country code. That is why Online store cannot calculate the tax, if it's based on the billing address.
Please change the "Zone defines by" option to "Shipping address", it will fix the issue.
How to add tax percentage to invoice
If you want to add tax percentage to your invoices, you can add it to the name of your tax here: Control Panel → Settings → Taxes page.
For example, if you have 10% tax, at your invoices it may look like this: 10% Tax: $1,5
A new tax name will be applied only to orders placed after editing.
I am from EU. How can I set up my store to comply with EU business regulations?
EU countries like Germany and Italy have certain regulations that impose rules on businesses and require specific display of product prices and sales taxes. We made it possible for EU Online stores stores to get their stores fully complied with these regulations. Please refer to this article for detailed information: EU laws: How to setup
How to set up tax rate for certain state or city
The tax calculation algorithm determines which tax to apply by looking through the configured tax rate list, top-down. When it finds a matching zone, it stops and applies the corresponding tax rate. So you can define tax rate for particular state(s) or cities (using zip codes), then add a rate for "USA" at the bottom of the list. In this case, the USA rate will be applied to all states except the states configured explicitly.
Tax calculation in the US
In the US merchants must pay the taxes to the states where they have any connections (nexus).
For more details please refer to the special article in our Help Portal on How to set up US Sales tax.